Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Feeling Fatigued By Stylized Food Presentations?

Well, me too.
Don't get me wrong I think making food beautiful is part of the fun and enjoyment, but something shifted in me over the last couple of years on the subject of food presentation. At this point an overly manipulated looking dish, and you know the one's I mean with the vertical towers and driblets of sauce, leave me feeling cold. It may be pretty, but that doesn't mean I want to eat it. My reasoning is that food should look like what it is, and I think artful presentations should highlight the ingredients and be presented in a manner that says "this is so delicious, come eat me!" That is why I am such a huge fan of Saveur magazine and their recipes. First of all, they work, and best of all the end product looks like the photo.
Simple and delicious.


Last Sunday Matt made one of the recipes from the website. A sweet spicy combination of Indian-Chinese Sweet and Spicy Cauliflower paired with the Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese 2003. Totally outstanding recipe and pairing. The wine worked so well with the sweet/spicy of the Cauliflower and the ginger batter was very tasty. Best of all the dish looked just like the picture from the recipe.
Inviting, elegant, and recognizable as food.


No comments: