Thursday, February 28, 2008

Those Pesky Pronunciations

Wine terms are easy to mispronounce. It is often not clear by the spelling how you're meant to say it, and since so many people mispronounce the words you may have heard a bad pronunciation but thought it was correct. If I hear an incorrect pronunciation in the store I just go along with it because I reckon it's rude to correct people in public. Thankfully, with this blog I can clear up the confusion without embarrassment. Here are some wine terms that I often hear mispronounced with the correct pronunciation:

Riesling: Reese-ling

Beajolais: Boh-jah-lay (the first syllable is pronounced Bo like the name, not Boo)

Pinot: Pee-noh

Meritage: Rhymes with 'heritage'. Contrary to popular belief this is not a french word, it's a combination of the words Merit and Heritage.

Alsace: All-Zahs

Claret: Clare-ett This is not a French word, it's a British word for a Bordeaux

Chianti: Key-ahn-tee, not key-ahn-tay

That's all I can think of at the moment. I hope it helps.

No comments: