Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Celebrating Rafa Nadal and a Little Ribera del Duero

I spent Sunday July 6th visiting relatives, badly – that is to say, I nodded at them if I noticed they were speaking while I watched the brilliant Wimbledon match between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

To celebrate Nadal's victory, we opened the 2005 Callejo Cuatro Meses en Barrica. I don't speak Spanish, but its name rolls right off the tongue, sumptuous as the wine. It's 100 percent tempranillo, blackberry, licorice, and espresso, ripe tannins. Later I found out the William Street kybecca has the 2004 vintage, which is supposed to be even better! Next on my list!

I have another wine at home from Ribera del Duero, and I don't think I can wait for Nadal to beat Federer again before opening it -- the Pago de los Capellanes 2004.

"Seamless and seductive. Blueberry, blackberry, cocoa and coffee flavors mingle in this elegant red. Firm, focused and fresh, with its harmony disguising impressive concentration. Drink now through 2016." -- Wine Spectator, 93 Points

kybecca also has a king from Ribera del Duero -- Tinto Pesquera Ribera del Duero Reserva 2004. This wine earned a whopping 94 points from Wine Advocate.

"The 2004 Tinto Pesquera Reserva offers greater aromatic complexity, a thick, plush palate feel, gobs of fruit, and superb balance. Although it can be enjoyed now, it will be at its best in another 4-6 years and continue to provide pleasure through 2030." -- 94 Points, The Wine Advocate, April 2008

These Spanish reds are my new favorites!

No comments: