Friday, November 13, 2009

Good Wine Can Save A Terrible Meal


If you enjoy cooking like I do I'm sure you've had days where you feel the need to cook something for yourself (ie don't want to spend the money on take away) but you are feeling way too lazy to put some effort into it. I had just such a day yesterday. I decided to heat up some Heinz beans from a can. I don't even know why I had them because I hate canned beans; perhaps my subconscious mind made me buy them knowing I would be lazy enough to cook them one day. Anyway, I added some hotdogs and heated them over the stove. My first bite confirmed that my tastes have evolved tremendously since college, when I would have happily wolfed it down. Faced with the daunting task of finishing the meal (I wasn't about to go to bed hungry), I decided to open a bottle of red Burgundy I bought from an importer who gave me an excellent deal on it. It's from Domaine Emmanuel Giboulot and comes from the Cotes de Nuits, at the north end of Burgundy. Burgundy, for those who may not be aware, is the home of Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir as we know it comes from there, and many people (including myself) would argue that Burgundy Pinot is still the best. But back to my meal. The wine had fantastic candied cherry and wild strawberry flavors and bright acidity. It was very flavorful and aromatic. It made the beans not only palatable but good. I can't wait to try it with some decent food.

I'll be tasting this wine at our Plank Road location (next to Ukrops) tonight and tomorrow (Saturday the 14th) if you want to try it. If you want to know what Pinot Noir is meant to taste like here's your chance.

No comments: