Sunday, March 16, 2008

Talking About Rieslings

Friday night I had the pleasure of being invited to speak about one of my favorite grapes, Rieslings. I was invited by the King George Wine Society, who are a lively and interesting group of wine lovers. They kindly let me pick the topic, s0 I seized on the opportunity to speak about a white wine that to my mind doesn't get enough attention. The reasons I love Rieslings are many, but here are I few I highlighted.
  1. The quality to cost ratio is excellent considering the majority come from small producers whose labor seems to hardly be counted relative to more known wine regions (such Burgundy).
  2. The ones with residual sugar have a low alcohol content making them excellent food wines, and suitable for a second glass without getting sloshed.
  3. They pair beautifully with a vast array of foods, making it easy for anyone to look like a food and wine pairing genius.
  4. Their lively acidity combined with a touch of sweetness makes the fruit flavors come alive on the palate in a way unique to this grape.
  5. The higher quality versions age beautifully and remain reasonable priced (for a high quality wine).
These are just a few of the reasons we at kybecca love Rieslings, and why I in particular am so fond of them. For a partial list of the ones we carry click here.

1 comment:

BlondeJustice said...

I hear ya sista! Riesling is my favorite grape as well.