Friday, March 21, 2008

I'm In Love

Really, truly, deeply.
The subject of my new-found affection is the Veuve Fourny Cuvee "R" Extra Brut. I hardly know what to say about this Champagne. Every once in awhile a wine really has an effect on me. I taste a lot of wine, and most of it is at least good, a few are great, and one or two a year really make me feel transported. Veuve Fourny is one of my favorite producers, and when Emmanuel cam last year and did a tasting for us it they instantly became the most popular sparkling wines in the store. A little bit of googling on the Cuvee "R' yielded the information below:
"The Cuvée R Extra Brut is named for the Fournys’ father Roger, who preferred to use a little pinot in his blends—it’s a blend of 90 percent chardonnay and 10 percent pinot noir, as his wines often were. Fermented and aged entirely in barrique, it’s always a blend of two vintages, and spends four years in the cellars before release. The backbone of the Cuvée R is the fruit from old vines in a lieu-dit called Les Barillées, on the heart of the mid-slope of Vertus, which gives dense, sleekly powerful chardonnay." Peter Liem, Wine & Spirits
This is a powerful yet delicate sparkling wine with flavors of orange peel, crisp lemon, slight yeasty notes, hints of wildflowers, and so much more. Drinking it makes me feel like I am back in France. This is what they mean by luxury in a bottle. I am turning 37 on Monday and this is what I will use to celebrate. By the way this and quite a few other V Fourny Champagnes are on the wine list at Citronelle in DC.


1 comment:

BlondeJustice said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REBECCA!!!!