Here are a few criteria that I think make a wine bar:
- Wine should be the focus of the concept with all other offerings to support the wine.
- It should have a distinctly different feel than a restaurant. Meaning the emphasis for the look and feel of the space should support the enjoyment of wine and offer a place with the ability to socialize without shouting over music or being forced to sit in a more formal dining style.
- Staff should know the product and be able to assist the customer in making suggestions and answer questions about the product.
- It should be unapologetically for adults. We love kids (and hey, we have 'em) but we want to go to a wine bar to drink wine and socialize with other adults, not wade through children wandering around or hear babies screaming.
- A great wine bar offers wine choices based on knowledge and selection, not national press. A wine that has a great marketing campaign belongs in chain restaurants and retailers, not in a wine bar.